Updated: Feb 16, 2021
· 4 Bone-in chicken thighs (if you prefer you can use boneless skinless breasts).
· 4 TBS Spice Spice Baby’s KC and the Sunshine Rub
· 1 TBS Vegetable Oil.
· ¼ Cup of your favorite Kansas City Style BBQ Sauce (optional).
· Non-stick cooking spray.
1. Pre-heat your oven to 350 Degrees F.
2. Trim your thighs (or breasts) of excess fat.
3. Pat them dry with a paper towel.
4. Spray the thighs or breast with the non-stick cooking spray and then rub each piece of chicken with ½ TBS or so of the rub. Flip the chicken and do the same to the other side.
5. Heat a cast iron skillet or a frying pan over medium high heat, add the oil, once the oil shimmers, add the chicken (if thighs-do the skin side down first). Cook for 3 minutes and the flip the chicken. Heat another 3 minutes.
6. If using a frying pan transfer the chicken to a sheet tray, if using a cast iron skillet place the skillet and chicken directly in the oven. Cook for 15 Minutes.
7. Remove from the oven. Sprinkle each piece of chicken with a dash more of the rub. Increase the temperature of the oven to 400 degrees. Brush the chicken with the BBQ Sauce (optional) and return it to the oven.
8. Cook another 3-5 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through.
In the middle of the winter when I don’t feel like braving the weather and lighting the grill but still want authentic BBQ flavor, I use my trusted cast iron skillet to get close to the same results.
Being from Kansas City means that BBQ runs through my veins, and KC and the Sunshine Rub has earned me several prizes in competitive BBQ competitions. It seams to do particularly well with poultry, and I think it finishes with just the right notes of heat and sweet. Try the chicken with and without the sauce-this gives you a great baseline flavor tests to see which sauce you might like most-or you just may realize that with this rub, you don’t need it!
Keep it Spicy!