Updated: Aug 14, 2020
Char Siu Sauce Ingredients:
· ½ Cup Soy Sauce
· 1/2 Cup Honey
· 1/2 Cup Ketchup
· 1/2 Cup Brown Sugar
· ¼ Rice Wine Vinegar
· 2 TBS Hoisin Sauce
· ½ TSP Red Food Coloring (or 2 TSP red bean curd)
· 1 TSP Chinese 5 spice powder (optional)
· 8-12 Bone-in Chicken Thighs
· 2 TBS Spice Spice Baby’s OG rub
· Non-stick cooking spray (like Pam)
Sauce Cooking Method:
1. In a small to medium sized sauce pan over high heat, combine all your ingredients and mix thoroughly. The sauce should thicken slightly after a few minutes. Take it off the heat and put it in the refrigerator until it completely cooled. Take half the sauce and all of the chicken and toss them together in a 1 to 2 Gallon sized Ziploc bag, making sure all of the chicken gets coated.
2. About 20-25 minutes prior to serving, heat the grill to its highest high setting.
3. Lightly spray each thigh with the non-stick spray. Dust the chicken with Spice Spice Baby’s OG Rub.
4. Place the skin side down on the hottest part of the grill and cook for 2 minutes. Turn the grill down to low and switch the chicken from the hot part of the grill to the part farthest away, turning the chicken to skin side up. Cover the grill and cook on low temperature for 15-20 minutes. Once the chicken has reached an internal temperature of 155 Degrees F, brush the remaining sauce onto the chickens, cover and continue heating until they are fully cooked. (an internal temperature of 165 F at the thickest part of the meat).