Hey Mon Jerk Chicken
Updated: Feb 6, 2021
1 whole bone-in cut-up chicken (it can be quartered or cut into 8 pieces)
1-2 TBS Olive Oil
4-6 TBS Spice Spice Baby’s Hey Mon Jerk Seasoning
non-stick pan spray such as PAM or Vegalene
1. If using an oven, preheat to 375 Degree F. If using a grill turn it on and get it extremely hot.
2. Lay out the chicken on sheet tray or working surface and brush it on both sides with olive oil.
3. Put the Jerk Seasoning into a wide bowl or container, then take each piece of chicken and dip it in the jerk seasoning on both sides.
4. Heat a large cast iron skillet over high heat for 5-10 minutes. Spray the chickens with the pan spray and then place them in the cast iron skillet, skin side down. Let them cook for 5 minutes, flip them and do the same on the other side. You may have to do this in 2 batches depending on the size of your pan.
5. If using the oven, place the chicken on a sheet tray, skin side up and cook in the oven at 375 F until they are done, approximately 25-30 Minutes. Use a probe thermometer to check if they are done-you are looking for an internal temperature in the thickest part of the meat of 165 F or better.
6. If using the grill, place the chicken skin side up on the topmost racks. Grill until they are cooked all the way through. Use a probe thermometer to check if they are done-you are looking for an internal temperature in the thickest part of the meat of 165 F or better.
If you want a spicier version of this recipe, marinate the chicken in your favorite hot sauce overnight before cooking. I like to serve this with sugar snap peas and rice, but if you want to do it authentically you could make peas and rice together as they do throughout the Caribbean. Chef Garrett Gilliam, an incredible Chef and Pit Master worked with me to produce this recipe-thanks for your help Garrett!