It's Greek to Me French Fries
Updated: Oct 8, 2020
· 2 Russet potatoes cut into thin strips
· 1 Quart of vegetable oil
· 4 TSP. Spice Spice Baby’s Its Greek to Me seasoning
· Salt and Pepper to taste
1. In a medium sauce pan, heat the vegetable oil to 275 degree F. Hold the temperature steady.
2. Carefully add the thinly cut potatoes to the hot oil, and fry for 5 minutes, stirring the fries with a slotted spoon. Remove the fries from the oil and drain on a paper or cloth towel. Let the fries cool completely.
3. Heat the oil up to 350-degree F and hold it steady.
4. Add the fries to the oil until they become golden brown, about 5-6 minutes. Spoon them out of the oil and place them into a small mixing bowl with the Its Greek to Me seasoning. Toss the fries until they are evenly coated with the spices. Adjust salt and pepper to your taste, and serve.
Most people don’t know how easy it is to make French fries at home, or they have tried and failed because they don’t realize it really takes two frying steps to get great results. By cooking fries a little bit on a lower heat in the first round, you prepare the starch and surface of the potatoes to get very crispy for the second dip in the hotter oil. In busy burger joints, they have one deep fryer set to a lower temp and another set the higher so they can crank out the fries quickly.
I like to add the Greek seasoning to this when I serve fries with Gyros or chicken shawarma. You can even top them with freshly grated parmesan….yum!