Updated: Oct 8
· 6 tablespoons (preferably freshly squeezed) lemon juice · 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil, preferably Greek · 3 TBS. Spice Spice Baby's Its Greek to Me seasoning blend plus a 1 TBS for topping the salad as a garnish. · 1 Head romaine lettuce (about 1 pound), trimmed of tough stems and cut into bite-sized pieces · 6 ounces Kalamata olives, about 1 cup · 1/2-pound Feta cheese, crumbled · 1 Cucumber, peeled, seeded and cut into 1-inch chunks · 1 Pint grape tomatoes · 1 Small red onion, cut into 1/2-inch wedges.
· 1 Green pepper, trimmed, seeded, and diced
· ¼ Cup sliced banana peppers
· Optional (roasted chick peas-see recipe on this website)
1. In a small bowl, whisk together the lemon juice and oil. Stir in Its Greek to Me seasoning. Set aside.
2. When ready to serve: In a large bowl lightly toss the lettuce with the dressing. Divide the lettuce among 4 salad bowls. Scatter the olives, cheese, cucumber, tomatoes, onion, and peppers over the top of the greens.
This salad is easy to make and has an authentic Greek flavor. It can be served as a main course (just add a little grilled chicken or fish to the top) or as a side to accompany a main. I love it with pizza, or pasta, but it works well with just about everything.
Sometimes I toss in fresh oregano (when its in season) right into the salad, like they do in Greece. You can switch up the toppings as you see fit, other options: sundried tomatoes, roasted red peppers, salami or pepperoni, parmesan or fresh mozzarella. You really cant mess this up-so have fun trying new versions of this.