Updated: Dec 24, 2020
1 lb. Lean ground beef (80/20 or 90/10)
3 Tablespoons Spice Spice Baby’s South by Southwest seasoning
1 Package Jiffy brand Vegetarian Corn Muffin Mix
1/3 Cup 2% milk
1 Large Egg
1 Can cream style corn
3/4 Cup of chunky salsa (I use Newman’s Own Mild)
1/4 Cup shredded cheddar cheese (I prefer sharp)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Brown ground meat on medium high heat breaking up meat as it cooks. Once cooked, drain off the excess fat.
3. Add the South by Southwest to the ground beef and stir to combine.
4. In a medium bowl, combine corn muffin mix, milk and egg, mix until batter has a smooth consistency.
5. Spray an 8 inch cast iron skillet or 9x9 inch baking pan with pan spray and add 1/2 cornbread batter to the bottom of the skillet/baking pan.
6. Layer seasoned ground beef, cream corn and salsa on top of cornbread batter.
7. Add the remaining cornbread batter to the top of the mixture. Use a spatula to spread the mix and completely cover the layers.
8. Bake for 30 minutes until top of cornbread is golden brown.
9. Sprinkle the shredded cheese on top and return to the oven for 5 minutes.
10. Cool a little before serving.